A small update to the Spellbook – D&D app was published to the market on Monday. I’m preparing for a large update, which will be coming soon, and made a few preparatory steps in this update. Primarily I’ve implemented Google Analytics to track page use. There’s already been a small backlash from this, which is unfortunate. Google Analytics requires the use of the INTERNET and NETWORK STATE permissions, so of course some people are freaking out. However, all data is completely anonymous and handled by Google, not me. Anyway, I hope to use the data to improve the app. For example, during the first day I noticed that Sorcerer seems to be the most popular class among users of the app. That tells me that I should really spend some time to implement filtering or sorting by schools of magic.
Here’s another fun fact: The most popular spell (so far) is Magic Missile, followed very closely by Detect Magic.
In addition to implementing Google Analytics, I also made a few minor tweaks to layouts, making them a bit tidier in landscape mode, and I implemented a new About page.
I used a lot of new (to me) techniques in this, which was also a nice way to prepare for some future user experience improvements in the app. You’ll notice use of images (A cleric bugdroid) as well as small animations when clicking on items. I hope to add more details like this throughout the app to make it more fun to use and more polished overall. I hope you like it.